As featured in The Times (18 Feb 2017)
What does the ebook assist you with?
Most folks purely vaguely have in mind what we have been taught in school and are dispose of by way of lengthy, tedious, dense and pedantic grammar manuals. This publication is written in a concise, chatty and casual style.
• A to Z structure makes it effortless to entry and to discover what you’re searching for.
• Tells you in uncomplicated, undeniable language the adaptation among issues that glance related (for instance, alternate as opposed to alternative, made of as opposed to made from, its as opposed to it’s).
• Explains easy methods to steer clear of going improper with concerns resembling contract among matters and verbs or the alternative of pronouns after prepositions.
• offers ideas to a number of universal, daily grammatical difficulties.
• offers tips on acceptable utilization the place a couple of means of claiming anything exists.
• Distinguishes among spoken and written grammar the place appropriate.
• additionally comprises suggestion on vocabulary, spelling, pronunciation, punctuation and style.
The writer: Professor Michael McCarthy
Internationally popular utilized linguist, co-author of the 900-page Cambridge Grammar of English, writer, co-author and editor of greater than 50 books and a hundred articles at the English language and the instructing of English, winner of an English-Speaking Union prize for one in every of his dictionaries, Mike McCarthy solutions the awkward questions that frequently trouble us all approximately English grammar.
Professor McCarthy believes in describing present-day ordinary English because it particularly is, no longer how humans imagine it really is or how they believe it's going to be. He has labored for the final 35 years with computerised corpora of daily written and spoken English texts and is understood specifically for his paintings at the ameliorations among the grammar of talking and the grammar of writing. the instance sentences he provides are transparent, obvious illustrations of the grammatical conventions, in keeping with his paintings with corpora and his large field-notes masking many years, gleaned from literature, correspondence, the media and traditional dialog. He tells you what the conventional ideas are in addition to what individuals are writing or asserting now, and offers the reason why you may decide upon one or the opposite. he isn't petrified of switch and sees the grammar of English as a residing, evolving organism, which he demonstrates with occasional glances at grammars written within the far away and up to date previous. He respects the numerous accents, types and dialects of English yet tells you what the informed normal kinds are, so you might communicate and write hopefully and safely. this can be a e-book to browse and luxuriate in, in addition to being an invaluable reference paintings to maintain in your bookshelf.